Monday, 30 June 2014

Outtake: Free People's 'Tangerine' Lookbook by Shae Detar

(Photos taken from the Free People blog)
“Tangerine, Tangerine, Living reflection from a dream; 
I was her love, she was my queen, And now a thousand years between.”
Led Zeppelin
I've been a long time fan of Shae Detar, and by long time I mean almost five years of adoration. I followed and read her blog obsessively in 2009/2010 and as my style adapted I kind of fell out of obsession with her. What brought back the obsession was her creative style of painted photography, especially the trippy, rainbow aura style ones. Not entirely new in the photography/art world, but her vision is entirely unique. Her collaboration with Free People almost feels like an organic path for her to follow, being able to exhibit both her photo skills and painting skills while still being able to embody the Free People aesthetic.
My heart is constantly torn over Free People. Half of me loves the femininity, the spirit, the adventure that FP represents. The other half, despises the pricing, vintage knock-offs and sometimes cliche branding that FP take on. I'm sure you all understand what I mean... But this lookbook really stood out for me as it didn't feel like an advertisement for their clothing/brand, more so just an artistic display of character. The model has a raw, down to earth, 60s love child vibe about her. The clothes are ethereal and whimsical, without being too 'costumey.' The photos remind me of an editorial from vintage National Geographic magazines. But most of all Shae Detar was able to capture the essence and nostalgia of Summer. The balmy nights, the rays of the golden hour hitting the horizon, the feeling of roads and pavement absorbing the days heat, seeing a distant floating mirage on the highway, being a lizard an soaking in the intense sun... Can you tell I miss summer? Oh well, I'll just continue to live vicariously through all of the instagrams and blogs which I follow, that are currently enjoying my favourite season.

2 comments:

  1. Totally feel you on the FP thing. Although I guess all most design houses do is rip off vintage when you think about it. Sometimes I feel like I'm being watched, because my ideas will turn up on the runway the next season or in the latest issue of a magazine. Then I'm like...how did they know? Haha. Weird ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely feel like my mind is being monitored sometimes!! ;)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I really appreciate it!