Wednesday, 11 June 2014

060 - From Far Away

Wearing: Everything thrifted, Assorted jewellery from eBay/Etsy/Inspired Tribe


A bit more of a relaxed (scruffy) outfit going on today,  I have been wearing this outfit constantly - switching it up with my birkenstocks and denim jackets and different varieties of bags depending on where I am headed. So lately I've been making a decent effort over the last fortnight to be more present on my blog, to remember to photograph outfits and to keep a backlog of 'Outtake' posts ready to be uploaded in between. Looking back at my unintentional blogging break over the last three months I noticed a pattern, and I've come to the realisation of why I was struggling to blog, and connect with my audience.
I've been having issues with my style identity.
Not that my entire being revolves around my style, but it definitely plays a significant role on how I feel and how I want to present myself to society and my peers. I never claim that my style is independent of inspiration - I'm addicted to sourcing inspiration that further fuels my imagination - but my style is definitely unique. Unique, because it's mine!
Of course, I borrow styling ideas from everywhere (after all nothing in this existence is original, everything that is seen has come from somewhere) and in this age of fast fashion, I felt that my integrity was being robbed by the masses. Oh so dramatic, but oh so true. Everything that I had loved, and worked so hard on developing to be uniquely me was becoming 'trendy' and 'cool'. Prints and garments that I spent hours searching through thrift stores or Etsy, are being produced by the second in unethical factories for people who essentially have no concept for the history behind these pieces.
In my eyes, Coachella is one of the biggest instigators of my fashion identity crisis. It seemed to me that as soon as the festival season comes around vintage inspired clothes and accessories become all the rage and are instantly popular, yet people are only wearing it for the hype of 'festival fashion'. The prime example that absolutely pains me, is to see traditional jewellery designs from India, Turkey, Pakistan Nepal, Thailand, and regional Native American tribes be mass produced for the sake of being 'hippie' or 'boho' or 'gypsy.' IT JUST MAKES ME SO ANNOYED. (Not to mention that the connotation and origin of 'gypsy' is essentially a racial slur.)
But at the end of the day, I have to put these thoughts aside and just remember, that I am unique and special in my own way - and the people that are emulating these styles are also unique and special individuals who do not have any malicious intent and are probably blissfully oblivious to what they are doing. I could rant about this for days but I really don't want to put you guys off from reading my blog. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone who's read this. It was not written with the intention of hurting anyones feelings, but it's just something that kept rolling around in my mind and I just needed to get it out. Happy Hump day y'all.

19 comments:

  1. ugh it frustrates me to no end how hippie/boho/gypsy style is commercialized for festivals... the same way it pisses me off when i see people wear band tshirts and have absolutely no idea who they are. but i do think it's good that "gypsy" is being adopted in a different context now with more positive connotations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, so frustrating when people wear band shirts with no idea who the band even is (kind of ironic considering they're effectively supporting a band though haha) xxxx

      Delete
  2. ugh I love this outfit! these photos are looking so good too. I love your style girl, you find the best vintage/thrifted/op shop pieces. I hate how it can be over commercialized too, totally get what you mean x


    frockled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taylor,

    First off, I just wanted to say that I completely understand where you're going with your style crisis post. I've been reading a lot about 'cultural appropriation' as of late and find your comments about thrifting and being aware of the history/culture behind fashion very interesting. As a Nepalese/Australian, I think eclecticism in fashion is great… but I agree with you - having an awareness behind where pieces or prints come from would be preferred. I really don't mind that Anglo women (and perhaps even men!) are embracing things like the bindi, sari, etc but you make an interesting point about the ethical production of clothes. Moreover, whenever boho fashion becomes the norm, stores that might traditionally/ethically sell these clothes often struggle to make a profit because popular fashion chains are selling similar items for so much cheaper. So why pay a higher full price? (I don't work in fashion but I still think this is an interesting argument... and some food for thought to people who invest in organic foods, donate to charity, etc without giving much thought to where they got the clothes on their back.)

    I'm also commenting because I just wanted to say that I am in total awe of your sense of style. I know you might feel like your style is being robbed/duplicated by the mainstream fashion market but I feel obliged to stress that you should NEVER feel that way. Sure, people might be able to buy tribal/boho pieces off ordinary store racks nowadays… but you have the confidence and conviction to pull these things off. What I mean by 'conviction' is that people may wear a particularly 'boho' piece of jewellery (or dress, etc.) but most are too afraid to go 'full throttle' and stick to true, 100% boho style. I feel kinda weird for saying so - considering I'm older than you (now an old lady at 22!) - but I could never pull off the pieces you wear. And neither could most people.

    It doesn't seem like you're one to constantly compare yourself to others but I just wanted to emphasise that. Because your style is super unique.

    Rock on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam! Thank you so much for your incredible comment, it means so much to me that you've taken the time to write a response!
      Firstly, I completely agree with you and your beliefs to do with 'cultural appropriation'- this topic is so hard to approach just because it's multi-faceted and people tend to get offended very easily. And yes, I also cannot stand the effects of trend based fashion having the ability and potential to destroy localised small businesses who have clearly found their niche, buy selling and investing in ethical and organic business practices. And finally, thank you SO much for your amazingly kind words, it's so easy to get stuck in an odd headspace where i'm constantly doubting myself...

      Stay cool sister! x

      Delete
  4. I totally get what you mean! The coachella fashion is such a classic example. Loving your enseble though, so funky. xx

    yecrad.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this outfit, that t-shirt is perfect! Been on the hunt for something similar for a while now!
    I totally understand what you mean by the hype of the festival fashion and it annoys me too! People are just ignorant of where certain styles actually come from and just put it all under this umbrella of 'festival fashion'. I totally agree with the first comment also, there is nothing worse than people wearing band t-shirts and not liking the band or in fact not even knowing that their t-shirt is a band tee. My brother once asked a girl what her favourite Rolling Stones song was because she was wearing a Rolling Stones band t-shirt and she replied with 'oh just like the logo', it's all just a bit frustrating.

    www.laughwithmelele.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the t-shirt was my best friends and i'd been wanting to steal it off him for ages ahahah! and yes i love that you guys have brought up band t-shirts because there is nothing worse then seeing a potential fellow band lover but to be let down by them just enjoying the aesthetics of a band's logo or design.. love you leah!

      Delete
  6. OK I NEVER COMMENT ANYMORE BUT WHAT YOU WROTE IS SO IMPORTANT AND NEEDED TO BE SAID. (Oh it's Ulrikke if you haven't guessed. Changed my usernames everywhere because got hella paranoid after reading 1984 and all the Snowden revelations, I will with 100% certainty be one of those old people who strongly believes that the government is out to get them)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you got paranoid too?! jesus, 1984 is a fuckin fantastic book! but thanks ulle, i love you <3

      Delete
  7. PS. BAAAAAAAAAABE ALERT

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think i fall in love with you a tiny bit more everytime i read your posts! love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahaha thank you so much beautiful! xxx

      Delete
  9. Hi Taylor, I just wrote a comment but I'm not sure if it published, so I'm writing it again...sorry if this shows up twice...I've been reading your blog for a few months but I never felt the need to comment until now. I totally hear you about your identity crisis. I really agree with the other comments, and I feel like your style is so different from the "Coachella" trends, your looks are well-researched, informed, and visually stunning. Coachella is mostly, a bunch of girls wearing $400 sunglasses, flower crowns, and really short cutoff shorts. It's no surprise to me that stores like Nasty Gal and Urban Outfitters are LOOKING to bloggers like you for inspiration, because I bet so many girls see you and think "I want to look like her" (what's that saying, "imitation is the highest form of flattery"?) The big difference is, hun, is that that you DON'T need a mannequin in a store to tell you what to wear. You're a true original. You thrift, buy vintage, go to flea markets and put it all together yourself. It shows! Your totally dedicated to your style through your blog and your unique way of putting things together...I hope this helps you maybe think of it in a different way, and maybe feel a little better about it. You're an inspiration! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! thank you so much for your incredible comments (on this post and on my other outfit post) and i'm really glad you took the time to type out your thoughts. thank you so much for your support and your understanding - over the past few weeks i've been able to gain a better perception on how to feel about my miniature crisis.
      again thank you so much, xxxxx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I really appreciate it!