Tuesday, 17 December 2013

049 - Bat Fink

 Wearing: DIY kimono, Supre crop top, Thrifted skirt, Vintage boots, Assorted jewellery from eBay/Inspired Tribe/Markets

I have a bit of a thing for making my own kimonos - it's very cost effective, and it's kind of nice to know that no one else has one exactly like mine. This one was made out of a tie-dye sarong I found whilst opshopping. One day I will make a tutorial on how I whip up these babies, but to be honest my sewing skills are far from satisfactory and I'm not to sure how well I will pull off the diagrams and such.
But now onto the amazing garish choker come breast plate that is hanging around my neck! I've been lusting over these animal style necklaces since I saw Brit (from Disarming Darling) wear and style her elephant one. And while I loved the elephant one, I wanted something a little more kooky - to differentiate my style. Around 3 months ago I stumbled over a magical 'little' hmong bat necklace. The eBay seller was asking a ridiculous amount for it, AND it was broken. I messaged, asking for a reduced price, but I was declined. It later sold to some mysterious identity on the other side of the interwebs. Disheartened, I knew I would never find something as unique as the item (unless I travelled to Thailand and had it made for myself). Low and behold, I was wrong.
Doing a random search of ethnic necklaces on eBay and I stumbled upon the beauty that now rests on it's own special hook, on the side of my book shelf with my collection of other large tribal style necklaces. Hyperventilating, I messaged the seller asking for shipping prices to Australia and to put it on hold for me.
And the rest, my friends, is history. 

10 comments:

  1. I loove this look! You look great! <3
    Please post a tutorial on how to make beautiful kimonos!! or make me one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess!! And sometime in the New Year you can expect to see a little DIY post ;) xxx

      Delete
  2. Awesome!
    I make my own clothes too and i've definitely made a few fringed kimonos, so easy, right?
    And theybsell them so expensive everywhere! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah the prices of kimonos these days are ridiculous - you'd think that with the demand for them, that their cost would be lowered.. xxxx

      Delete
  3. That kimono is amazing <3 Love this look

    http://sarahlikesfashion.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. this kimono is so beautiful! you're so talented!
    x

    frockled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. the necklace is gorgeous, well worth the effort to get it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! hahah the lengths i'd go for my jewellery ;) xxx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I really appreciate it!