Friday, 16 August 2013

033 - Choke Me To The Bone

(Wearing: Bad Vibes bottoms from Shop Tunnel Vision, Vintage Harley Davidson t-shirt from eBay, Steve Madden shoes, Suede fringe bag, Assorted jewellery)

August in Sydney is know for its windy days, but once in a while it's also known for it's warm and sunny days. For the end of winter we're reaching temperatures in the mid 20's and I'm definitely getting excited for summer - hence the recent alterations to my Bad Vibes (I was given them as a present in legging form, and had altered them for wearabilty/comfort/necessity). And boy, do I love them even more in short form. This outfit I feel like I'm channeling my inner California-trailer trash-bikeresque persona. A persona that pops chewing gum obnoxiously, rides on the back of motorcycles, sips Coke in the late afternoon sun and is full of sass. I'm sure she will stick around once the hot weather properly kicks in.

Today, however much I'd love to continue chatting about fashion and inspiration and shit, I wanted to have a discussion about a comment I received on Instagram a few days ago. 

   "Living proof that you don't have to be an anorexic skinny girl to be beautiful! You're so inspiring!"


Was I supposed to feel flattered by this back-handed comment? Was I supposed to be insulted that I didn't identify in the "skinny girl" category? Can't I just be considered beautiful without weight being an issue? This comment had me immensely confused. I have struggled with my own personal weight issues for the last two years, after gaining close to 10kg whilst I struggled with depression and anxiety. However, I've always been known to have a "voluptuous" figure, a little more muscle and chub than the majority of my friends - something that I've grown comfortable and confident in having, after many hard years fighting against it.
I knew that when I began blogging, my weight would be most definitely brought up at some point. Directly/indirectly/whatever... I expected it. But not in a way that shames a mental & physical illness like anorexia. I'm struggling with trying to express how I feel. Mostly fucking angry and a little bit sad at the same time.
Not all "skinny" girls choose to be thin, some desperately want to be able to put on weight so they're not judged or accused of having an eating disorder, just so they can fit our societies standard of "healthy". Others, unfortunately, crave and need to be thin and this is where things can turn negative. On the other hand, there are also many "average" sized girls who are happy with being your ordinary size 10-12-14 and like myself, couldn't give two shits if they're considered skinny, fat, chubby, muscular, healthy, big-boned, slender or what have you.

Essentially, stop idealising and judging people and their physical appearances and appreciate them for the human beings they are!

10 comments:

  1. look amazing and completely agree with you, well said! xx

    http://gypsywardrobe.blogspot.com/



    ReplyDelete
  2. That harley tee is amazing!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! one of my best eBay finds in a long time xxxx

      Delete
  3. love that tee
    <3
    xx

    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are AMAZING! I haven't come across a new blog I've loved this much in such a long time, so thank you for being so god damn incredibly stylish <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I absolutely adore your blog, and those two pieces kill me! I'm trying to hunt one down for summer now, thanks to you! xxxxxx

      Delete
  5. OH MY GOSH those shoes! xox

    http://feathersofeve.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I was a bit like that myself when I found them online! xxxx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I really appreciate it!